The Society’s goal is to help maintain the current sea turtle population and to prevent a potentially irreversible decline in that population through:
- Maintaining the Sea Turtle House where visitors are always welcome to view and discuss our sea turtle displays and learn more about how to protect sea turtles. Sea turtle related merchandise is available for purchase. The proceeds are used to help fund our sea turtle programs.
- Reducing disturbances and harassment of nesting sea turtles by public education about the hazards of nighttime beach activities, habitat destruction, and beach lighting.
- Increasing the hatchling survival rate by educating the public about the impact of lighting, beach debris, habitat destruction, and marine pollution.
- Rescuing hatchlings, post-hatchlings, and adult sea turtles and transporting them to permitted rehabilitation facilities.
- Contributing data to the Sea Turtle Stranding and Salvage Network.
- Participating in Keep Brevard Beautiful, Adopt-a-Shore program by performing monthly beach clean-up activities.
- Conducting nest surveys.
STPS is involved in many activities all because of our Mission Statement: Helping Sea Turtles Survive. STPS volunteers are a dedicated bunch!