Celebrating Archie Carr
This year for #SeaTurtleWeek, more than 160 organizations from around the world have joined together to celebrate sea turtles and raise awareness of the threats that they now face. This amazing conservation movement has its roots in the work of Archie Carr, who is known as the father of sea turtle conservation.
So, it is more than fitting that World Sea Turtle Day is celebrated each year on June 16, which is Archie Carr’s birthday.
Carr began his research in the 1940s and spent a lifetime learning and sharing about sea turtles and the need for their conservation. The dozen or so books that he wrote take readers along on his journeys of adventure and discovery.
As the week draws to a close, now is the perfect time to take the next step. Pick up one of Archie Carr’s books and continue your journey to learn more about these magnificent creatures and the need to protect them.
Books by Archie Carr
- Carr, Archie (1952). Handbook of Turtles; the Turtles of the United States, Canada, and Baja California.
- Carr, Archie (1953). High Jungles and Low.
- Carr, Archie, and Coleman J. Goin (1955). Guide to the Reptiles, Amphibians, and Fresh-water Fishes of Florida.
- Carr, Archie (1963). The Reptiles (Series: LIFE Nature Library).
- Carr, Archie (1964). Ulendo: Travels of a Naturalist in and out of Africa.
- Carr, Archie (1967, 1984). So Excellent a Fishe: A Natural History of Sea Turtles. (ISBN 0-292-77595-4).
- Carr, Archie (1973). The Everglades. (Time-Life Book).
- Carr, Archie (1979). The Windward Road ( ISBN 0-8130-0639-2). Carr, Archie (June 26, 2013: ISBN 978-0307832115).
- Carr, Archie (Marjorie Carr, editor) (1994). A Naturalist in Florida: A Celebration of Eden. (ISBN 0-300-05589-7). Carr, Archie (September 1996: ISBN 978-0300068542) pbk.
- Carr, Archie. (1968). Ulendo: Travels of a Naturalist In and Out of Africa. (ISBN-13: 978-0813011790)
- Carr, Archie. (1992). High Jungles and Low. (ISBN-13: 978-0813011356)